Submission Guidelines for Book Proposals
NYU Press welcomes the submission of book proposals for the fields in which we publish. Please include in your book proposal:
- an abstract or a description of your manuscript (1–2 pages)
- a description of the intended reader/audience for this book, including primary academic fields likely to be interested and courses for which the book could have potential adoption
- a list of three or four competing books, and how your book will distinguish itself from the competition
- annotated table of contents, including brief chapter summaries
- estimated length of the manuscript in words, including notes and bibliography
- number and type (color, b/w, maps, tables, etc.) of illustrations, if any
- estimated date by which the manuscript will be complete
- if the book is edited, contributor biographies
Additionally, please include one or two sample chapters (preferably the introductory chapter), your current C.V. or resume, mailing address, telephone number, and email address. Please address your submission to only one editor.
You can either email your proposal materials to the appropriate editor (by finding their emails below) or you can mail a hard copy to:
New York University Press
838 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10003-4812
The following documents contain current guidelines for our contracted authors on preparing a manuscript and any accompanying artwork for submission.
- Author Manuscript Guidelines — Microsoft Word (.doc)
- Author Questionnaire (AQ) — Microsoft Word (.doc)
If you have further questions, please contact us.